3.06.2012

Who Are The Hipsters: The Legend of A New Trend

The Hipster Fashion, sweeeet // Photo credit: hipsterfashion.net
I was talking to one of my friend and she said to me: "Me gusta your blog!!! Little bit hipster ;). 
I said: Heh? NO! It's not hipster. Well, I don't think so... It's just a bunch of articles I wrote for the newspaper. 
Her: Ok, but it's still a little bit hipster.
Me: Ok... Define hipster." 


YES! DEFINE IT! What the heck is a hipster. Everybody is talking about them, but it seems that being one is... well, is a bad thing. What's up with that?
I don't think I saw one yet and I though they were a legend.
Nobody defined me what is a hipster. Huh? Who are they? Are they a legend? I did my research (a very short one) by typing "hipster definition" in Google and that's what I found on urbandictionary.com:

"Hipsters are a subculture of men and women typically in their 20's and 30's that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie-rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter. The greatest concentrations of hipsters can be found living in the Williamsburg, Wicker Park, and Mission District neighborhoods of major cosmopolitan centers such as New York, Chicago, and San Francisco respectively. Although "hipsterism" is really a state of mind,it is also often intertwined with distinct fashion sensibilities. Hipsters reject the culturally-ignorant attitudes of mainstream consumers, and are often be seen wearing vintage and thrift store inspired fashions, tight-fitting jeans, old-school sneakers, and sometimes thick rimmed glasses (i.e. Ray Bans). Both hipster men and women sport similar androgynous hair styles that include combinations of messy shag cuts and asymmetric side-swept bangs. Such styles are often associated with the work of creative stylists at urban salons, and are usually too "edgy" for the culturally-sheltered mainstream consumer. The "effortless cool" urban bohemian look of a hipster is exemplified in Urban Outfitters and American Apparel ads which cater towards the hipster demographic. Despite misconceptions based on their aesthetic tastes, hipsters tend to be well educated and often have liberal arts degrees, or degrees in maths and sciences, which also require certain creative analytical thinking abilities."


Can someone be more specific? Is there something missing?
I know what they mean now by "hipster", but seriously, I still don't get it: being exactly what-the-description-says is bad? I find it kind of cool. I'm not a hipster myself (actually, I'm a... I don't know what I am. I don't fit in any "category" of style), but who cares what people wear, what they do, what they listen to: they are still people. 


If you just understood what a hipster is, good for you, because I think everybody is talking about them, and almost 60% of them don't know what a hipster is. 
Why do I have to hate them? You tell me.


I leave you on this. Ciao a tutti.



1 comment:

  1. A (funny) example of hipster hate:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBgJ64uZLaM

    ReplyDelete